Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Lentil Burgers



Extra info I found by trial-and-error:
·          Just get the chopped walnuts from the bulk bins.
·          I found that it helps if I cook up the lentils (in beef broth for extra flavour) the day before so that they have a day to dry.  You really do not want them wet when you start mixing.
·          Adding a second egg doesn't hurt
·          Put enough crackers it to make the patties stick together better - the extra egg helps a bit, but more crackers is the way to go!
·          The small "t"'s are teaspoons not tablespoons
·         1 tsp of cumin was too much for me - it's really strong and I only do half a teaspoon
·         When I have them in patties and I'm frying them I usually add some extra oil to the pan after I flip them the first time (with out the oil they do not get crispy)

Enjoy!!!

Roughly 1c walnuts
~2/3 c chopped onion
~5 Ritz crackers or Saltines or similar
1 egg
1c (measured when dry) lentils (or a little more) (green lentils seem to
work best)
1t cumin
1t coriander
salt
oil

Rinse and cook the lentils. Things seem to work best when the salt gets
into the burgers via the lentils, so adding salt at this stage is a good
idea. I usually have to work a little bit to keep them from burning at
the end, because you need to get more water out of the beans than one
usually needs to in other recipes.

Chop the walnuts. Start the onions cooking in oil; you can brown them or
just wait until they're translucent--as long as they don't burn
everything seems to work out. Add the cumin and coriander. When the
onions are mostly cooked, add the walnuts to the pan and let them toast
a little.

When the lentils and the onion-walnut mixture are both done, transfer
them to a bowl. Add the egg and the crackers (crumbled). Knead it until
mixed.

Then make patties, add oil to one of the pans/pots you used earlier, and
cook the patties. Longer over lower heat has I think produced your
favorites? Hard to mess up at this stage, though.

1 comment:

skybird said...


Thanks for posting this useful content, Good to know about new things here, Let me share this, . PL/SQl training in pune